Hello & thank you for your interest in Volunteering with the Benjamin Boxes Foundation. We believe every baby, no matter how brief their life, should be wrapped in a beautiful handmade garment. The Benjamin Boxes Foundation knows how cherished hand sewn, crocheted and knitted items are to families who have experienced the loss of their baby. These boxes were created by a loss mom to help ensure that every baby and family has the gift of a handcrafted item for baby or in honour of their little one.
Benjamin Boxes collects a variety of homemade items which are all donated to local bereaved families, hospitals, clinics & funeral homes. Volunteers, mostly bereaved mothers and grandmothers, donate their time and talent to create these priceless items for the tiniest of babies. These garments are stitched and given with love.
We are extremely grateful for all our volunteers, if you are interested in donating items for the boxes or creating garments, please contact us directly. Whether it's 5 items or 500, we appreciate every item donated to help fill the boxes.
Guidelines For Creating * Yarn Type: - Worsted, DK, Sport or baby weight yarn (the softer the better) - no bulky yarns please. - Cotton and synthetic yarns only. We kindly ask that no wool, alpaca, angora or any animal yarns be used.
* Please use white yarn only with no embellishments of any kind as some items may be given to siblings and could possibly be a safety hazard.
* Blanket Sizing: - Minimum of 6" X 6" - Maximum 24" X 24"
* Patterns: - The Patterns listed on our site are suggestions only, please feel free to use a different pattern. If you have any suggestions, please send us the link, we are happy to add more to the list.
* Hats: - Sizes range from micro preemie to newborn and must have a loose or elastic fit, especially around the forehead.
* Due to covid and allergies with some loss families, all donations should be laundered prior to donating and then placed in Ziploc bags. If you are unable to launder them, please write a note stating that so we can have them done before giving to families.
* Please make sure you check that all handmade items do not have any pins or needles accidentally left on them.
* Volunteers will make arrangements to pick up donations. Please email or call us once you have 10 or more available.